31; what height represents the 60th percentile? How should you interpret this?
Z-score for 60% or 0.6 is 0.26
The height that represents the 60th percentile is greater than the mean by 0.26 times the standard deviation. This is the height above which 40% of the data lies and below it 60% of the data lies.
33; what percentile is a height of 73 inches? How should you interpret this?
The percentile of 73 inches represents a percentage x such that (100-x)% of the data measures above 73 inches while x% of the data measures below 73 inches.
51; Best Actor 205: Jamie Foxx, Age 37 best supporting Actor 205: Morga Freeman, Age
11. You toss a coin and randomly selecting a number from, 0 to 9. What is the probability of selecting the number a 3?
From 0 to 9, there are 10 number. Therefore, the probability of selecting 3, one of the numbers is given by, P(3) = 1/10 = 10%
12. A random number generator is used to select a number from 1 to 100. What is the probability of selecting the 153?
From 1 to 100, there are 100 number, assuming that whole numbers are only selected. Therefore, the probability of selecting the number 153 which is out of the range of numbers to be selected is P(153)=0/100 =0%
13. A game show contestant must randomly select a door. One door doubles her money while the other three doors leave her with no winnings. What is the probability she selects the door that doubles her money?
We are given that there are four doors whereby 1 door doubles the money and three doors have no winnings. Therefore the probability of selecting the winning door is given by, P(win) = ¼ = 25%
14. Five of the 100 digital video recorders (DVRs) in an inventory are known to be defective. What is the probability you randomly select an item that is not defective.
We are given that there are 100 DVRs of which 5 are defective and 95 are not defective. Therefore, the probability of selecting a DVR that is not defective is, P(not defective) = 95/100 = 0.95 =95%
41. According to company records, the probability that a watching machine will need repairs during a six year period is 0.10
This means that 10% of the company’s washing machines need repairs during a six year period. Therefore, when a customer chooses the company’s washing machines, he/she will have a 0.1 0r 10% chance of repairing the machine in a six years period.
43. An analyst feels that a certain stock’s probability of decreasing in price over the next week is 0.75
From the analyst’s perspective, 75% of the times when the stock market was in the current status, the stock decreased in price.
45. The probability that a randomly selected number from 1 to100 is divisible by 6 is 0.16
There are 100 numbers between 1 and 100. Therefore, there are 16 numbers between 1 and 100 that are divisible by 6.